Franciscan University is planning for the arrival of our new students for Orientation Weekend on August 20-23. We cannot wait to welcome our new students into Franciscan’s one-of-a-kind intellectual and faith community.
Thank you for your patience! As circumstances, regulations, and guidance from health authorities have developed over this summer, we have continued to discern the best ways that we can serve our new students and their families given our unprecedented circumstances.
Our comprehensive plan to welcome students to campus in a manner that facilitates health and safety is available at our Coming Home to Franciscan: A Guide to Campus Health and Safety pages.
Following are some important updates related to New Student Orientation.
- We have made significant changes to our residence hall move-in process. New students will move-in to residence halls on a scheduled basis with the first check-in slots starting Wednesday evening, August 19 and continuing all day Thursday, August 20. Students will be receiving information on how to sign up for a move in time within the week at their University email address. For multiple reasons we are asking that parents/family refrain from entering the residence halls and allow members of the orientation team to serve you and the students by handling the moving in of the new students to the residence halls.
- New students are asked to limit the number of parents/family members accompanying them to campus to 1 or 2.
- Accompanying parents/family members are welcome to join their new student around campus on Thursday, August 20. Fr. Dave and the friars will be available around campus to meet and say hi. Financial aid and other new student services will be available. All University departments will be open, including the Bookstore.
- Accompanying parents/family members are invited to a special Mass on Thursday, August 20 at 4:00 pm in Finnegan Fieldhouse. University president Fr. Dave Pivonka, TOR, will be the main celebrant and homilist. This Mass will be for parents/family members of our new students only.
- Parents/family members are asked to say goodbye to their new student by dinner time on Thursday. We are sorry that we are not able to invite parents to join us for the rest of our Orientation events. Some of the Orientation sessions will be live-streamed through the weekend.
- Orientation programming will continue for the new students through Sunday, August 23. Classes start on Monday, August 24.
- Social distancing will be observed in all settings; face coverings will be required in certain circumstances. Currently, the state of Ohio requires face coverings in all indoor public spaces and any outdoor spaces where 6-foot social distancing is not possible.
- We will communicate more information throughout the rest of the summer as we adjust to changing circumstances and to evolving regulations and guidance from various entities.
- We are very excited for our new students to arrive!
Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions. See you next month!